We interrupt your regularly scheduled Tuesday to bring you a fun surprise.
But first, a brief history lesson:
November 23, 1848: The Female Medical Educational Society formed in Boston.
November 23, 1897: Pencil sharpener patented by J. L. Love.
November 23, 1909: The Wright Brothers formed a million dollar corporation to manufacture airplanes.
November 23, 1963: The BBC broadcasted the first episode of Doctor Who, the now longest-running sci-fi drama in the world.
November 23, 1992: The first smartphone was introduced at COMDEX.
November 23, 2021: Gennie and Amy host the first annual Birthday! Birthday! writing contest.
Write a 100-word story for children (defined here as age 12 or younger) using a word from each of the birthday girls’ lists, which will be announced on Saturday, November 13.
- Choose one word from each list (one of Gennie’s and one of Amy’s) to incorporate into your entry. Word lists will be released on Saturday, November 13, 2021.You’re allowed to adjust the words within reason (such as plural or tense).
- Write a story for children up to age 12.
- Limit your story to a maximum of 100 words (you may go under but not over), not including your title.
- Don’t include any illustration notes.
- Fill out the entry form during the official entry window: Saturday, November 20, 2021 at 12:01 a.m. EST through Sunday, November 21, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. EST.
- You’re welcome to also post your story on your blog and/or in the comments of the Nov. 21 post (so others can enjoy and comment), but the entry that counts is the one submitted through the form.
Gennie and Amy will judge the stories as anonymous entries, based on the following criteria:
- Follows all the guidelines
- Is kid-friendly
- Demonstrates creativity
- Features fantastic writing (this includes technical quality of any meter and rhyme for rhyming stories)
Fabulous prizes: TBA Saturday, November 13!
Sign up here to join Amy’s newsletter list, where you’ll be the first to hear once the word list is released on Saturday!